top of page
Image by Matt Palmer

Bushfire Preparedness

Do you have a bushfire plan?

-          Will you stay or go?

-          When will you go?

-          Where will you go?  

-          Do you have a plan for your pets and livestock?

We recommend making a detailed fire plan, to do so you can visit:

Additional things to consider for your pets/ livestock:


-          Have a pet emergency kit:

o   Pet emergency kit checklist:

§  Pet registration/ licence papers

§  Pet medications, medical and vaccination records

§  Veterinarian contact details

§  Food and water bowls

§  Food and water for each pet for up to two weeks period.

§  A familial pet blanket or bedding and toy

§  A secure pet carrier, leash or harness to transport

§  Rubbish bags or disposal bags and kitty litter

§  Include recent photos of your pet for identification

-          Is your pet microchipped? Are your microchip details up to date?

-          Is your pet registered with your local shire?


-          Is your horse float trained?

-          Do you have a float or quick access to a float if needed to move your horse in a bushfire emergency?

-          Is your horse microchipped?

Livestock/ Farm animals

-          Is your farm animal halter/ lead trained?

-          Do you have a PIC number?

o   A PIC number is a property identification code for owners of livestock. This includes 

cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, deer, alpaca, llama, camel, buffalo, emus and ostriches. It is a legal requirement

o   For additional information on PIC numbers visit: DPIRD

-          Do you have transport facilities?

-          Coordinate relocation of domestic animals and livestock with neighbours, friends or livestock associations as early as possible

-          If an emergency warning is current or on days of high risk, consider moving stock into a safe area before leaving your property for any length of time

-          In a bushfire, move animals to a closely grazed or ploughed paddock (preferably around the homestead) with drinking water, steel fencing and preferably shade. (Poultry etc can be placed in a temporary pen)

For animals in emergency situations affected by natural disasters contact:

-          The Department of Agriculture and Food WA (DAFWA) will assess the health and nutritional requirements of livestock after a natural disaster strikes. For more information visit or call 9368 3333

-          RSPCA WA may provide support and relocation for lost and injured animals after natural disasters or more information visit or call 9209 9300

-          To report injured wildlife call the Wildcare helpline on 9474 9055 24 hours a day, seven days a week


Add reaction

Bushfire Preparedness: Resources
bottom of page